How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Grass, stone retaining wall and towels


The first thing I did today was to cut some of the miniature towels I bought yesterday small enough to put them into the little cubbies in the changing room. I'm using a loaner phone right now until my replacement Note 7 gets here, and I haven't played with the S7 edge's camera enough to figure out how to get it to focus on what I want, so the towels are blurry.


I added the landscaping mat after I did the towels. The instructions said to use a heat gun to mold it to the landscaping, but all I managed to do with the heat gun was to warp the mat so some of it won't lie flat any more. I glued it down and am weighing it down with bricks right now, hoping it will flatten out. Luckily it's at the back, on one side of the ryokan.

Anyway, finally I took the ryokan apart again, then had to separate the layers of the base, so I could try doing one layer at a time. The mat was only a few inches wider and longer than the base, so I didn't have any extra to play with. It looks acceptable though, even though it isn't what I had planned on using. After I had cut each layer to fit, I decided to use those little garden stones and some silicone glue to make rock retaining walls. It would have been easier to use egg cartons I think, but everyone who came in today loves the little stones.

I also started marking where I want an outdoor onsen, and marking a little stream to put the bridge over.

3 comments:

  1. The changing room is incredibly really. Love the tiny towels! Really, you wouldn't know this wasn't life-size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The changing room is incredibly really. Love the tiny towels! Really, you wouldn't know this wasn't life-size!

    ReplyDelete