How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Adding foliage to the pergola, water to the pond, and more flowers


Last night and tonight, I alternated working on two things, the flowers and the pergola. Alternating gave them a little bit more drying time than if I had only stuck to one thing.

The pergola is coming along, although it still needs more fussing with. I used some purple and green foliage stuff from Woodland Scenics, that I've had for years. It's the kind of stuff that you pull apart to make it really thin and wispy. I put that over the top, and added some light green coarse turf, and medium green fine turf. It doesn't look too bad so far, and when I finish it, maybe it will be acceptable.


The last thing I did tonight was to give the pond another coat of Realistic Water. You can see in this photo, how it's coming up around the bases of the cat tails and the irises. The fish are beginning to be covered too, although it will need at least two more coats, and probably more. I'm not doing the full 1/8th" layers, because I think it would take longer than 24 hours to dry. It's a tiny bit milky when it's wet, but so far, it has been drying perfectly clear.


These are some of the flowers I was working on. Most of them were made using a little flower punch that looks like a regular silver hole punch, and the snowflake punch was used for the leaves. I added a bunch of the flowers I made to the path behind the pond, but I'm not finished with the little patch where they are yet, so I didn't upload the photo. I'll take another photo of it when it really starts to look like something.

I did try to get some DAP caulking stuff that I read about in some waterfall tutorials. They all said it was readily available everywhere, but apparently all those people who write the tutorials don't live in eastern Maine. I sure wish they hadn't enlarged our Walmart to be three times as big as it used to be, because when they enlarged it, they stopped carrying so many things they used to carry, like all that hardware store stuff. They used to sell DAP at Walmart when it was a small store, as well as silicone glue, lots of crafts, cloth for quilting, paint and varnish, a good selection of office supplies, and a lot of other stuff they say they don't have room for now. Whoever is the CEO at Walmart, needs to be fired in my opinion!

Anyway, I found some other stuff that is supposed to be flexible, and dry clearer than silicone, so I'll try that on wax paper tomorrow and see how it looks. This is the first time I have really done a lot of landscaping, and I'm enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment