How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Friday, September 30, 2016

More ikebana, some ornamental trees and a kimono and stand

My first project for today was to put the bare bulb I forgot yesterday into the tokonoma. Now it's ready for when I find the battery connector.


The next project was to use another lampwork bead, some flowersoft and a tiny flower from an old kit to make another ikebana for the room with the Buddha.


Then I dug out some old Woodland Scenics tree forms I had gotten years ago, and tried to make some ornamental trees for the landscaping. One of the tree forms was white metal that I painted and shaped, and the other was plastic that can be bent and holds it's shape. After bending them into the best shapes I could get for ornamental trees, I glued Flowersoft onto the branches using Aleene's clear tacky glue. I think they might be kind of small for the scale of the house, but there isn't that much room for landscaping, so I'll see how they look when I get more landscaping materials.


Next, I made an origami kimono. It's way too big, but at least I know how to do it and can try again with smaller paper. I also spent hours making a kimono stand from memory of some I had seen on the internet. Unfortunately, that came out too big too. I measured carefully to what I thought would be a good size, but when I put it into the house, it looks huge!!!


I also tried making a coat hanger out of a paperclip to hang the kimono with. I didn't worry about it being straight because you wouldn't see it anyway.

I'm going to try to talk my husband into taking me to Hobby Lobby tomorrow, to see if they have any landscaping supplies. We used to be able to get them at our craft store in Ellsworth, Maine, but the lady who bought the store didn't tend to business, and it's closed now. I need basswood too. That's another thing we used to get at the closed craft store. Anyway, hopefully, I will be able to get some Landscaping stuff without sending away for it!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on the smaller versions - the too large kimono and stand look great! Also good luck on sourcing the landscaping materials. I just had to order a few things from OmniModels on eBay because local stores leave me wanting, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodi, I agree that the kimono stand looks nice. I was actually impressed with it when I got it done. If only it was smaller!!!

    I was just looking at the Hobby Lobby website. I sure hope our Hobby Lobby has everything that I saw on the site, because my husband says we are going tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ikebana and trees are lovely - looks like a lot of work went into them. Would they use a hangar on a kimono stand? How did that work I wonder. Have fun at Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I got the idea for the hanger because of a photo of a real kimono stand. In the photo, there is a box next to the stand containing wooden hangers. I decided I wouldn't be very good at making wooden hangers, so I made a metal one.

      Most of the kimono stands I have photos of don't have hangers, but I thought the clothes hangers would make the kimono show up better.

      Delete