How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

More electricity, and I made more lamps

Today was a funny day. It has been cold here for about a week, and today was a dark and damp day, so it was really quiet. Most of the day, I worked on electrifying lamps and making more. It's funny, because I have been planning on using my die cutting machine to make some lamps, and today I actually made some that way. When I got home and was ready to do another blog post, I saw a comment from my online mini friend Jodi, suggesting that I use the die cutter to make lamps. I guess great minds think alike!

Anyway, it was so slow today, that I took all the levels apart on the ryokan, so I could wire the bottom floor. The roof was just sitting on top of a table in the shop, and the other two floors were on the floor of the shop. I got the bottom floor all done, then decided to rewire the middle floor, because I had forgotten to hook the telephone booth light into the middle floor wiring. By the time I started this, we started getting all kinds of company and customers, and my shop was a mess of ryokan parts!!! :-0

Anyway, we were there late, so I didn't get a good photo of the lights I made today. I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow!


This is the little fake stone lantern I made a while ago from the kit. One of the great things about those Pico LED Nano Chip lights is that they are so tiny I could put the little chips in through the tiny holes in the lantern!

This lantern will be out in the garden, so I added some fake moss to it. I will play with the moss again tomorrow when it has had time to dry, and try to make it more realistic. The outside lights are each wired into their own 3 volt coin cell thingy. I figured if I kept them separate, I could arrange them any way I want when I get around to landscaping.


This is the bottom floor all wired. The rest of the floors are all sitting around the shop waiting to be put back together. These are the three lights I made today. For the one in the kitchen, I drew a triangle shaped piece with a flat top, and copied it four times with heavy metallic copper card stock, and four times with rice paper for the lining. There are holes cut into the copper paper so the light shines through.

For the other two lights, I used a couple of my dies for card making and my die cutter, then lined them with rice paper. I was trying to make something besides shoji style lamps. They do look like copper in real life, and are very sturdy. I'll try to take better photos tomorrow. Hopefully, I will also get the middle floor rewired,

I'm sort of bummed out. I can't find the 9 volt battery holder thingy for the third floor, so I won't be able to light that floor until I either find my other one, or send for a new one. Sometimes I swear there are little gremlins who sneak in and make things disappear!!!

Oh yeah, the little Van Brode Mexican man is holding down the fort for the owner, while he goes out to get supplies!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing progress on the lighting! I love the lantern with the tiny light. The glow on the bottom floor creates a lovely atmosphere. I look forward to your daily posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Elizabeth, and thank you for taking the time to comment! It's always nice to hear from people who read my blog.

    I was so happy when I found a tiny light that would fit into the lantern. After I put it together, I was wishing it was lit, but I had no idea that there were actually lights that I could fit inside without trying to figure out how to take it apart. The moss did quite a good job of hiding the external wiring, and once I start the landscaping, I will be able to hide the battery and switch under a bush!

    ReplyDelete