How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Got the lighting, and lit part of the house up today!


Today I got my lighting stuff from http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/lightsforminis.html . I got reels of positive and negative wire and 5 3-volt nano chip lights in the pico, or tiniest size, (This size is great for our minis, it lights up a lot more than you would expect, even though you can barely see the tiny chip)! I got those 5 chips as kits containing the battery holder, switch and a coin battery. I also got two more room lighting kits, (1.8 mm LEDs), shrink tubing, 5 9-volt and 5 3-volt pico nano chips without the whole kit, 3 sizes of fiber optics, and 5 9-volt and 5 3-volt 1.8 mm LEDs.

I'm glad that I got such a wonderful variety of sizes and voltages, because I am finding a use for all of them.


I made this light for outside the portico. It is quite tall, and the pico nano chip lights it up really well. The paper looks a little wonky, but I wanted to leave two sides so I could remove them in case I ever need to access the lighting.


I can't believe I forgot to turn off the flash on my camera's phone when I took this picture, but you can still see the middle floor lit up. It was pretty exciting, because this is my first attempt to electrify a house!

Darn, just now I noticed that I forgot to hook up the light in the phone booth!!! That stinks, because it means I will have to hook it up to a separate battery.

I put those little Van Brode figures that I bought yesterday in, just so I could judge sizes for when I want to get dolls for the house. As I figured, these are too tiny, but I left them in because they were having such a good time having an international festival in the ryokan! :-D

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! The house is breathtaking. I feel as if I am back in Japan again. The lights are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! The house is breathtaking. I feel as if I am back in Japan again. The lights are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! The lights work great! And I love the photo of the whole front open! It's looking really amazing, Kathi! Wish I could see it in real life, because photos just never do justice to actually seeing with your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jodi and Elizabeth! I wish you both could come see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy I have just discovered your blog by accident. I have long wanted one of the Ryokan kits. How did you come by it? I am really enjoying your blog and when i have time read right from the begining Thank you so much for sharing your lovely work. Take care regards Diva from Downunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I didn't get a chance to work on the house too much during the winter. I need to add some more photos to show what I did do.

      I was lucky enough to get the kits from a lady on the Greenleaf Dollhouse forums. It was quite a struggle for her to get them all to me. They had to travel all the way from Oregon to Maine, but UPS came through for me! (I live on an island, and between the weight of the kits, and where I am located, other carriers either wouldn't deliver to our area, or wouldn't take it for a price I could afford because of the weight.)

      I have a link on my blog to a girl in Italy who also built this house. Her blog is wonderful, and takes you through every step of her build. I hope you will be able to find a kit for this as well, because it was such a fun project!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kathi. I have missed seeing your progress on the ryokan. I look forward to more blog posts with updates!

    ReplyDelete