How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

More Landscaping


Today I glued the styrofoam layers together and applied a coat of acrylic paint on them. I scored the top level, then put two coats of grey paint on it to simulate slate. The rest is painted with a medium green. It was the only green I had enough of to cover the base. None of the painting is really finished, I just did it to cover up the pink color of the foam.

I think I am going to get some landscaping mats from a model railroad site I found today. There are several kinds of mats that have various grasses and things on them, and they look more real than just plain old one color grass. I never had much luck using the sprinkle on stuff from Woodland Scenics. It will take quite a few mats, but I think it will be worth it. Then I will be able to do the fun stuff with plants and things.

I was originally going to make gentle slopes, but I sort of like the terraced look, and they will be less angular when I add the mats. Everyone who came in and looked at it today agreed that I should keep the terraces.

Anyway, no more landscaping until I get the grass mats, but the ryokan looks much more impressive now than it did when it was just sitting on a piece of plywood!

2 comments:

  1. I love the terraces, too! It makes the Ryokan itself look like the star atop the hill! Can't wait to see the landscaping mats! They sound like a perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodi, if I can do my landscaping even half as good as what you do, I'll be happy. Your landscaping and flowers are really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete