How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Screen and other items for the ryokan

I had a more successful day today. This morning I ordered a bunch of LED bulbs, wire, battery housings, shrink tubing, and other things so I can do more lighting. It will be good to finally see the lights I finished lit up, and to make more!

I also made a few more items.


The first thing I made was a screen. It is two sided so I can use it in different rooms, depending on the color. It isn't going to be in this room, I just stuck it in there for the photograph. This side has blue chiyogami paper.


This is the opposite side in pink.


Another thing I hadn't done was to put the fabric covers over the mirrors on the dressing tables. These are the same two dressing tables, but the chiyogami paper "fabric" shows up better in one photo, and it lays better in the other. I need to look up why the mirrors are supposed to be covered though. That's one of the reasons I love building this house, it lets me learn about different cultures and traditions!


I built a large lantern for the outside of the ryokan. It's not completely glued together yet though, because I have to wait until the bulbs get here, so it looks a little wonky in this photo. I used a patterned mulberry paper, and will wait to see it lit before I decide whether or not to add little sticks to make it into a shoji lantern.


This is the handwashing basin I made yesterday. I'm still not quite sure what I want to do with it. It needs more "water" in it, but I'm waiting for the first layer to dry before I add more. The little vase thing is kind of interesting because it has those drain holes in the top, and a large hole below. (It's just like the vase I put the umbrellas into the other day). Anyway, I am trying to find some small bamboo "pipes" to make water come into the top. Then I want to use another bamboo "pipe" in the hole in the bottom, and make it look like the water goes down from the vase into a stone basin below. I'm not sure how it will look, but the vase is so neat that I want to find something imaginative to do with it. I need to do something to the dipper. It looks kind of strange with a bamboo handle and a fimo cup on the end!

5 comments:

  1. The pieces you made are lovely. What fun! I have a small bureau with a cover over the mirror that I brought back from Japan. I forget the significance; must look up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pieces you made are lovely. What fun! I have a small bureau with a cover over the mirror that I brought back from Japan. I forget the significance; must look up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The screen is wonderful, Kathi! The mirror fabric is awesome, too! Can't wait to find out about the covered mirrors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see your bureau Elizabeth, it must have been wonderful to have experienced Japan first hand!

    Thanks Jodi, the mirror fabric is actually chiyogami paper. It's much easier to make things this tiny with paper than it is with fabric!

    ReplyDelete