How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Friday, September 16, 2016

More kitchen accessories and some tiny treasures


Today I added more of the things I had in my stash, and finished the hangers for the kitchen extension. I think they add a lot to it and make it look much more like someone lives here. I also painted some dishes black with red inside to simulate lacquer ware, and some other containers white, I will try to decorate those at a later date. I need to research Japanese designs first.


A long time ago, I went to an auction at a house down the road from me. There was a box of old and sort of trashy sewing stuff, and I was the only one who bid on it. I got it for a song, and was hoping there would be something neat inside.

I was in luck! These very tiny carved ivory things were in there. One is a carved and painted little lantern. It looks like it was attached to something at one time, but now, all that is left is the tiny lantern thing on the left in the photo. I put that on one of the dressers in one of the tatami rooms, and it looks like a vase or something. At some point, I may hang it like a lantern, but it looks kind of cool as a vase.

The next ivory item is an egg. It screws apart in the center, and has a tiny chicken inside. I wish I could have gotten a better picture of these with my phone.

The other item is shaped like a bullet. It had chinese writing painted on it, but that is mostly worn off. When you screw the end off, it contains three very tiny dice with little dots on each side. I may try to find someplace in the ryokan where I can put the egg and bullet thing at some point, because they are very cool. In the meantime, I thought I would show them off here, because, after all, they are miniatures!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete