How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Finished the house part of the ryokan and started the roof


Tonight I finished the house part of the ryokan and started the roof. It's pretty exciting! This is how the house looks now.


This is the framework for the left hand side of the roof. (That's stain on the wax paper and plywood below the roof, not blood, I'm a very messy stainer I think)!

This part of the roof is the easy part. There are a lot of monotonous things to do on it, and I understand putting the tiles on it isn't easy! It also will have wood on the eaves, with lots of little sticks and corner braces and things under it. Sort of like what is on the shingled overhangs of the house.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting!! The roof is a challenge and careful to get things as matched up as possible. You may have read the chapter where I had to add about a quarte of an inch on the outside framework for the eaves. Plus the edges of the supporting structure on the eaves never really matched for me. But I was able to force match things in the end. I can't believe how quick this has come together! You are a quick builder!! It's going to look great in the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've read about your challenges with the roof! I guess I'll just take those challenges as I go along, and try not to think about them!

    One of the reasons mine is coming along so fast is that I didn't make all those extras while I was building the house. I wanted to make sure the structure was built so I could show that off, and only did the furniture that came with the kit. You made a lot of beautiful things while you were working on yours. I will probably bring the house part up to the shop today, even though the weather here on the island is still pretty iffy. While I'm up there, I'm having to work on a small house for my granddaughter's birthday. I'd rather work on the ryokan.

    It's interesting, but I've been getting emails from someone who is friends with the girl who built hers as the bordello. It looks like she did hers so you can separate the layers, which is what I want to do with mine, so I can take it to shows easily.

    ReplyDelete