How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Right hand extension railing


I have finished the railing for the right hand second floor extension. This was kit #55, which is halfway through all 110 kits that came with this house.

I think they must have wanted to provide a little variety, because this extension was put together in a different order than the last extension. I'm hoping that it won't be more difficult to install the shoji and sliding doors with the railing already on.

I should have moved my jar of stain and water based varnish before I took the picture, but I guess it is a good hint for me to pass on. The stain was a quart of Minwax walnut varnish. I emptied the varnish into a glass jar, and it's much easier to use it that way, rather than having to pry the lid off a varnish can all the time. Since I also bring the varnish with me when I work on the house at my mother's, it lessens the chance of a varnish spill in the truck as well.

The other jar contains water based varnish. The varnish stays fresh better in the jar, I don't have to pry off a can lid each time, and I don't have to worry about spills, or the rim of a can gunking up as I use it. If the lid sticks, I just hold it under the faucet with the hot water running for a minute or two, and it opens easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment