How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sliding Doors to the Portico, and Reception Room Floor


I installed the sliding doors to the portico. When I built the first one, I didn't realize that there was protective plastic film over the "glass". It actually doesn't show up in person, but it does in the photo, so I am going to have to remove the "glass" and try to get it off.

Most of this wall, the archway, and the doors were actually pretty easy. I have a Chopper II tool to cut small pieces of wood, so it made it pretty easy to get all the ribbed pieces of wood under the fancy roof cut to the exact same length.

The sliding doors were also pretty easy. The wood at the top and bottom of the frame is routered out with a slot, and the top and bottom pieces of the doors have narrow projections on them that fit into the slots.

The gridwork for the windows is premade, so all you have to do is fit that into the window hole, once you frame up the door.


I also have finished the floor to the entrance hall/reception room. I made the pebbled lower floor match the floor under the portico, since they will meet at the doorway. All the parts for the platform were mitered, so I didn't have to do that.

I drew the plank lines on the floor using a pencil, and a clear plastic quilting ruler, which is marked off into a 1/8" grid. It was pretty easy to use the gridwork on the ruler to draw lines that are 1/4" apart, then I used a steel ruler and an X-Acto knife to score the lines before shading the floor with stain and varnishing it.

I am also working on a two part chest to go into the kitchen, but more on that later. It is really time consuming and fussy work.

The next big step will be the wall between the kichen and entryway. Once that is installed, I will be able to add my "slate" floor. Since it is made from cut pieces of cardboard, I have to know exactly where the kitchen walls and the platform in the kitchen are going to be before I install it.

No comments:

Post a Comment