How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Kitchen and Spa extensions, exterior wainscotting

The extensions for the first floor are coming along, and very soon I will be starting the second floor!


Today I started working on the exterior wainscotting. It's not finished yet, but it is already making the house look much nicer. Last night I added the kitchen window. I've been reading several books from the 1880's about Japanese architecture, and so many things about this house, including the kitchen window look exactly like the drawings in the books. There will be a matching window in the spa.


This is the kitchen and extension. They aren't hinged yet, I just have the top hinge stuck into the cutout for it so I can mark where the holes will be. It looks crooked because the edge of the plywood is off the edge of the table it's on, and it's hanging down a bit. I'm still not sure where the furniture and appliances will be, I just stuck them in there for effect.


This is the spa extension. There will be shoji between the dressing room/extension and the spa. I also finished the dressing room sink. It is supposed to have a little shelf attached to it above the faucets, but to me, it looked too close to the faucets, so I will mount it on the wall above the sink when I am sure where the sink will go.

When the extension is closed, the narrower part lines up with the bamboo half wall, and the wider part, which is where the shojis go lines up with the spa. The traffic flow will be from the entry way, through the bamboo half wall section into the dressing room. Then you will go through the shojis into the spa.

No comments:

Post a Comment