How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Decorating the tops of the roof


Today I finished up most of the tiling, and put the half round tiles on the top of one of the gables. It was a bit confusing, and translation software seems to be quite useless for the instructions.

For the tops of the gables, there was a decent photo, so I could figure out how to do it. You had to alternately layer three thin strips of notched wood, and one plain strip, cut them to the right length, and place them on top of the gable. Then you glued the half round tiles on top of that.

It wasn't clear how many layers of the wood strips were under the tiles going down from the onigawaras. (They separate the regular tiles from the tiles placed vertically down the gables). From the photos in the instructions, it looked like they only used one, but there were just enough of them to do two notched layers and one plain layer. Anyway, I decided to wait until I got home so I could look at Peggy's blog and see if I could figure it out from her photos.

Peggy had great photos, so tomorrow I will be able to work on those. Thanks Peggy!!!

The roof is now coming along quickly, and I am hoping that the regular roof tiles are straight enough so I won't have a lot of work to do trying to make them look right with the tops of the roof and gables.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kathi! The roof looks awesome! You are right - it's worth all the effort to achieve such a realistic look! I'm so glad you have Peggy's build to help you since the translation software and instruction photos are lacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodi, it was Peggy's blog that convinced me I had to have this house. I wish I had done as good a job on my blog as she did on hers. She really helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete