How to see all posts

A number of people have found it difficult to see the whole blog. At the bottom of each page, there is a "newer post" and an "older post" link. just click on these to see more posts. There is also a list of pages by month in the left sidebar.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Finally finished the tokonoma in the first tatami room


As my friend Peggy said in her blog, this was really hard to fit in.

Since I already had a warning that it would be difficult, I kept dry fitting everything to figure out what the easiest order would be to get it in. The other thing that was difficult was that the diagrams for the wooden parts aren't at all to scale, so I had to keep trying the parts I could figure out, until I had everything narrowed down as to which part was which.

I covered the sliding doors to the tiny cabinet in the tokonoma with the same chiyugami paper as I used on the fusuma. The little shelf under the cabinet is a shape representative of clouds.


(This image comes from the book "Japanese Homes and their Surroundings" published in the 1800's).

The border on the tatami on the left is really crooked, so I will probably get some black cloth and redo that one at some point.

I probably won't permanently install the second floor yet, since I plan on electrifying this.

No comments:

Post a Comment